This upcoming Veterans Day weekend, I’ll be running a 5K for a cause! The Easter Seals Walk With Me fundraiser is an event to help support families living with disabilities.
Specifically, the team I’m running with, The Dream Catchers, is raising funds for the Community & Housing Services Department at Easter Seals Central Texas. This is basically the organization I worked for while I was an AmeriCorps VISTA my first year in Austin (after a little restructuring and a merger between United Cerebral Palsy of Texas and Easter Seals Central Texas)!
The funding is going to do a lot of good. It will:
- Maintain Easter Seals’ affordable and accessible rental units for low-income disabled households
- Assist first-time homebuyers purchase a new home and make it wheelchair accessible Help disabled folks get back to work, further their education, or connect with their families by providing them with a $100 computer
- Support a family transition into long-term housing through the Tenant Based Rental Assistance Program. These are 2 year vouchers that households use to rent in the private housing market while working with our staff to find a long-term housing solution.
- Assist a family in need of modifications to their houses to make them wheelchair accessible through the CHAMP program. This program can be the difference between independence or having to move into a nursing home.
- Support for Accessible Housing Austin!, a first of its kind nonprofit housing development organization that is controlled by low-income people with disabilities so that they are empowered to develop housing that truly meets their community’s needs.
If this sounds like something you’re on board with, consider helping us spread the word and raise some funds during the season of Thanksgiving. You can donate here. As a team, we’ve already raised $2,625! We’re working toward a goal of $3,000 so we’re almost there!
Thank you, and all the best.